The Ordinary Niacinamide + Zinc
The Ordinary Niacinamide + Zinc is indicated to reduce the appearance of skin blemishes and congestion. A high 10% concentration of this vitamin is supported in the formula by zinc salt of pyrrolidine carboxylic acid to balance visible aspects of sebum activity.
What is Niacinamide?
Niacinamide – also known as Vitamin B3 is an essential nutrient. It is found in foods such as liver, fish, milk, chicken breast, beef, pork, anchovies etc. It is an anti-oxidant and is great for the skin as it assists in the repair of cells damaged by UV (or the sun).
What does Niacinamide do?
- It assists with anti aging by smoothing the skins texture and preventing wrinkle formation.
- And it can in some cases lighten dark spots due to pigmentation.
- Niacinamide has also been shown to treat some forms of acne
- It can minimize pores – playing a role in pore ‘reduction’
- It has been shown to reduce redness and blotchiness by reducing inflammation
- It works to prevent water loss and retain the skin’s water content. This is important if you have eczema or mature skin.
- Helps stimulation of keratin which keeps your skin firm and healthy.
- Helps regulation of oil – so that your oil glands are not over stimulated.
Are there any side effects?
If topical Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid and/or Ethylated L-Ascorbic Acid) is used as part of skincare, it should be applied at alternate times with this formula (ideally Vitamin C in the PM and this formula in the AM). Otherwise, Niacinamide can affect integrity of the Vitamin C. To know more about Vitamin C as a hero ingredient you can read this blog post.
Notes: While Niacinamide and Zinc PCA reduce the look of blemishes and balance visible sebum activity, neither is a treatment for acne.
For persistent acne-related conditions, we recommend the use of Benzoyl Peroxide and/or Retinoic Acid. For temporary improvement in appearance of blemishes, Salicylic Acid would help. This formulation can be used alongside acne treatments if desired for added visible skin benefits.
Independent studies suggest Niacinamide is also an effective ingredient for brightening skin tone.
How to get maximum effect from Niacinamide + Zinc?
About The Ordinary
This range is cruelty free and has been on the list of cruelty free products which you can find written by Cruelty Free Kitty. It is made in Canada, it is affordable and of high quality. It has a clinical scientific approach to skincare which I like – focusing on single ingredients and targeting single skin problems.
Patch tests are an easy way to help predict if you may experience a negative initial reaction to a new product. It is recommended to perform a patch test before incorporating any new product into your regimen. This is a general method for conducting your own patch test below based on the type of product.
- Apply a small amount of the product onto a clean area of skin on the upper forearm.
- Keep the area dry.
- If the product has a specified duration of use, rinse off after this time has elapsed. Otherwise rinse off after 24 hours.
- If any redness, burning, itching, blistering or irritation is observed at any time throughout the test, do not use the product.
There are no reviews yet.