The Right Mascara (for you)
Because there are SO many mascaras to choose from the right mascara depends on you and what you need it for. Simple really.
There are different types & compositions of mascaras available which can change your entire eye look in a second.
Short lashes? Try a lengthening mascara.
Thin lashes? Try a thickening mascara.
Straight lashes? Try a curling mascara.
All three? Try a volumizing mascara.
Here is a breakdown of the different mascara wands:
Mascara Applicator/ wands comes in different shapes and sizes, and each wand serves a different purpose.
- Straight mascara wands are easy to use as they allow easier access to small lashes and inner eye lid lashes. You can also hold the brush at different angles to fully coat the lashes.
- Curved Brush is perfect for those who are looking for more curls and an extra lift to the lashes. Comb shaped mascara is designed to discourage clumping and separates the lashes.
- A Comb Brush helps to separate the lashes and gives an even application. It further adds length and volume to the lashes.
- A Big Brush Mascara coats more mascara and gives more volume to the eyelashes. The wand has tightly spaced bristles, which is perfect for extra thickness. A big mascara brush can add clumps and can be hard to use at times, but with some practice you will get used to it.
- Long Brush is best for lengthening as a long wand with even space won’t provide as much volume as a big brush. They are recommended to separate and define lashes.
- Small Brush is better for small lashes, as it doesn’t clump the lashes, thereby offering thickness.
Mascaras also have different formulas which you need to consider when looking for the right one.
1. Lengthening Mascara
Lengthening mascara adds length to the existing lashes. Brushes of most lengthening mascaras have denser bristles, which allow the mascara to get onto the lashes especially on the tips.
This mascara is best for people with short and sparse eyelashes. To create the most length, you must apply at least two coats of mascara on the lashes. When the mascara is applied, these fibers bind to the tips of the eyelashes, making them appear longer.
2. Thickening/Volumizing Mascaras
Volumizing Mascara helps you achieve fuller and thicker eyelashes as it contains a thicker formula of waxes and silicone polymers. It claims to be perfect for people with thin or sparse eyelashes, regardless of length. Unlike lengthening mascaras, they don’t apply synthetic fibers and are designed to complement the shape and color of our natural lashes.
3. Curling Mascara
Curling Mascaras help to enhance the natural curl of the lashes. The mascara consistency is a little thicker than other types of mascaras, which further helps to hold the curl.
4. Lash Defining Mascaras
Lash Defining Mascara is an all-in-one product that offers volume and thickness. These are usually available as waterproof. Owing to its consistency and texture, it spreads evenly and each eyelash looks separate, fine and beautifully curled to give which gives volume and thickness, thus offering a perfect appearance.
Most of the mascaras available in the market offer all these properties but a lash defining mascara is unique because it contains special pigments and polymers to define lashes from root to tip. Lash Defining mascaras give a natural look to the eyelashes and is the most appropriate mascara for every day wear.
5. Non–Clumping Mascara
These are the latest addition in the market and contain glycerin and silk extracts, which give the lashes a neat finish. The applicators have a longer wand for a deeper finish.
I did some research on some of the famous brands of mascaras – such as Mac and these were some of the negative comments: not easy to remove, not waterproof, smudges, might get clumpy etc. What I am trying to say is that you need to choose the right mascara for you – it can be from any brand and still not be the right one. For instance if you have sensitive eyes the right mascara would be one that is hypoallergenic.
If you would like some tips and tricks on how to apply mascara perfectly please read my previous post! Some people instead of doing two layers/ applications of the same mascara do two layers of different mascaras which can be effective. Plus you might even find that you have a mascara that is right for a night time look and another one for the day time.
That’s it from me have the best week, chat soon.