How to Apply Mascara (perfectly) – like a pro – no smudging!
Running late but still want to look like you’ve put in some effort?
Mascara is the secret. On the days when I feel like I’m pressed for time to put on any makeup, I usually go for a nude lip color and a mascara. This is extremely simple to throw together.
Mascara makes your eyes look brighter and full of life, and the lip color adds a little color to your face. You can even do this on the way to your destination! All you need is half a minute or so and you will look put together!
And even when you’re going all out on your makeup, the final touches with a mascara will complete your look. At the same time, an improper application can ruin your look. If your mascara is clumpy, uneven, or smudged – it may end up looking appalling rather than appealing. To avoid this, read on.
Before we talk about how to apply mascara perfectly, let’s take a look at the products you will need to apply mascara like a pro.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Your favorite mascara
- Primer for the eyes
- Eyeshadow (of your choice)
- Clean mascara wand
- Lash curler
There a few things that you can do before applying mascara if you’re looking to achieving the full look. But first let’s find the right mascara for YOU. There is a variety to choose from (like millions), so take your time to research and understand what you are looking for in a mascara. These could be the determining factors to be considered:
- Color: Even in mascaras, there are different colors so find the one which suits you best. The popular option is black since this tends to open up your eyes more and makes them look bright. However, if you have blonde hair, then a brown mascara will make it less ostentatious.
- Consistency: What exactly are you looking for in a mascara? To lengthen? To volumize? There are so many different options to choose from, and there is a possibility that you might get confused. Stop for a second to take a moment to think about what exactly you want and then shop accordingly.
- Waterproof: Another important determining factor to consider is if you are around water or are prone to excessive sweating. Or even if you are just looking for something to really stay all day! Make sure to invest in good makeup remover which is gentle on the eyes because the waterproof mascaras require some work to get off.
- Wand: there are so many different wands available for mascaras so it is all about what you are looking for really. Some wands are tightly packed bristles and can separate the lashes making them look longer, other wands are curly and do away with the lash curler. Scroll down to see the mascaras we have available and what each one can do for you.
- Sensitivity: if your eyes are sensitive like mine you definitely need to consider a mascara that is cruelty free but must be hypoallergenic. If I use the wrong mascara my eyes itch the whole day even when I have taken it off and they just water constantly.
How To Apply Mascara Perfectly?
Here comes the step by step procedure on how to apply mascara perfectly:
Step 1: Curl Your Lashes
Now comes the mascara part. It is necessary to choose the right kind of mascara for the kind of look you are going for. Daytime to evening – there is a mascara that goes with just about any occasion.
Start by curling your lashes with a lash curler. Place the curler at the base of your upper lashes, close the curler and hold it in place for a few seconds.
Step 2: Get The Product On The Wand
Taking the tube of mascara, swirl the wand around to coat the bristles with the mascara properly. Make sure you’re not pumping your wand into the tube repeatedly. This pushes air into the tube and makes the mascara clumpy, and it dries out faster.
Step 3: Coat Your Lashes!
Starting at the roots, apply the mascara with a wriggling motion. This ensures that there is more volume at the roots, and your lashes don’t feel weighed down.
Step 4: Do the same for the lower lashes.
Since they tend to be sparser and smaller, you might even opt for an altogether different mascara, or switch over to a wand that has smaller bristles.
Step 5: Brush Out The Clumps
If you have lashes that are sticking together or have clumps of mascara on them, you can comb them out with the help of a clean wand.
Step 6: Second Coat
Repeat the mascara application by applying another coat. This depends on the volume you wish to add to your lashes.
Step 7: Curl Again If Required
Let the mascara dry for a few minutes. Now use the lash curler again, for added curling. This step is optional. You can go for it if you are not satisfied with the volume the mascara gives you.
How to apply Mascara Application Tips:
- Tp avoid mascara from clumping – wipe away excess product before swiping.
- If you want to add more mascara – let the previous dry completely then reapply
- To prevent smudging – always look down when applying
- To get your lashes to look thicker/ fuller – use a mascara that gives you more volume/ apply extra coats
- to get an idea of the different mascara wands and the right mascara for you read this post!
I hope you enjoyed this post. Remember if you know how to apply mascara perfectly (in 2 minutes like me) you save tons of time and have lots of product left over as well.
Until next time.